CLOSED – Working Washington Grants:
Border Business Relief Program
The Working Washington Grants: Border Business Relief Program focused on customer-facing businesses that experienced hardship specifically as a result of the COVID-19 border restrictions. Businesses must have reported annual revenues of $5 million or less in 2019 to the Department of Revenue and be located in Clallam, Jefferson, San Juan, Island, Skagit, Whatcom, Okanogan, Ferry, Stevens or Pend Oreille counties.
Grants to eligible businesses were up to $50,000. Award amounts will vary and will take into account previous Working Washington awards received from Commerce or affiliated partners.
Requirements for Eligibility:
- Active business (identified by UBI number or EIN number) physically located in one of the following counties in Washington state: Clallam, Jefferson, Skagit, San Juan, Island, Whatcom, Okanogan, Ferry, Stevens and Pend Oreille
- Reported annual gross receipts of $5,000,000 USD or less to the Washington State Department of Revenue for calendar year 2019
- Documented reduction in business income or activity related to COVID-19 or as a result of state or local COVID-19 related public health measures
- Adherence to all required COVID-19 public health measures
Eligible applications are reviewed based on the following priority criteria:
- Customer-facing businesses that require direct, in-person interaction with customers for a significant portion of business activity (Examples include a retail shop or nail salon)
- Businesses located within a 20-mile radius of a Canadian border crossing or port in Clallam, Jefferson, San Juan, Island, Skagit, Whatcom, Okanogan, Ferry, Stevens and Pend Oreille counties
- Industry sectors most impacted by the closure, which includes but is not limited to, retail, tourism, hospitality, recreation and entertainment.
- Size of the business (measured by 2019 revenue).
- Lost revenue between 2019 and 2020 and/or added expenses to maintain safe operations.
- Businesses operating in a rural or low-income community and/or owned by someone from a historically underserved population (minority, veteran, LGBTQ+ or women-owned).
Technical Support Center
The Technical Support Center is open and ready to provide support to applicants with questions related to the Working Washington Grants: Border Business Relief Program.
Email and phone support are being offered in English and Spanish by our partner, Submittable.
You can access the Support Center by calling (855) 602-2722 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
The hours are as follows:
8 AM – 5 PM PT Monday-Friday
Email & Voicemails: Response provided within 48 business hours.